Monday 20 January 2014

The erudite and the torturous

Its a simple learning in life, you might love someone but doesn't mean you love all of them. Convoluted ah? Oxi-moronic statement, if there was ever one. I love books but there are some books that I just could not get. Few, very few of them I stopped reading mid way and the rest I read because its a "book". So here is a list of books I did not understand the hype about, I just dint like. I tried Salman Rushdie after his fatwa and all, thinking God what did he write. Seriously god what did he write! It was like reading a dictionary. Hats off to those people who read the whole book, could understand enough to conclude that it was offensive. I j=gave up after one paragraph. Yes I did the whole parallel dictionary business for Jane Austen but 1. I was younger then and 2. she had two to three erudite words a page, not two to three in every line. Then there was the God of small things, I do not get child sexual abuse for literary value. I read Bitter chocolate by Pinki Virani, a set of real life stories on child abuse. It moved me and made me furious. I read 100 years of solitude and love in cholera. Again, not my taste. I honestly have come to believe that I like brightness, not constant darkness. That is all I can say. If anyone of you saw more in such books then the simple black that I saw, kindly enlighten me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment